Shared reading is the new focus area of PMB!
We will support shared reading between babies and children ages 0-5 and their caregivers, by providing high-quality books for families and support and training for caregivers.
There is significant evidence about the benefits of shared reading, including cognitive and language development, school readiness and child-caregiver bonding.
We will be providing more details about what we are doing with shared reading SOON!
From 2007-2016, PMB had three additional lines of action:
1. Planting the Beans educational fund. 2. Branching Upward mini-projects for personal development. 3. Nourishing the Roots, cultural outings and skill-strengthening workshops.
1. Planting the Beans educational fund
This fund served as a bridge to higher education for its beneficiaries. Beneficiaries were chosen based on their strong interest in continuing their studies and their inability to do so because of their families’ economic situation. The educational fund provided: in-depth guidance about career decisions, including vocational testing, meetings with professionals from their fields of interest and future workplace visits; financial support for educational and related costs such as books, materials and entrance exams; weekly phone calls; monthly one-on-one meetings; bi-monthly meetings with parents; tutoring; psychological counseling services and advice about life issues; and cultural outings, loans of books and cultural DVDs.
When the "official" PMB scholarship ended, PMB continued - and will continue for as long as past beneficiaries wish - to work with beneficiaries to plan their next steps in life and to connect them to key mentors and institutions as they move forward in life. We have now provided ongoing support to some beneficiaries for 10 years and love following their progress!
Past beneficiaries are:
Alondra. Alondra studied from March 2014 to March 2015 in a pre-university academy with support from PMB. She was accepted at the Universidad Nacional Federico Villareal and is currently studying psychology. Congratulations, Alondra!
Keyla. Keyla studied from March 2013 to March 2015 in a pre-university academy with support from PMB. She was accepted at the Universidad Autónoma del Perú and is currently studying business administration. In December 2015, Keyla completed year 1 of her university studies. Congratulations, Keyla!
Sol María. Sol María studied from March 2013 to March 2015 in a pre-university academy with support from PMB. She was accepted at the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú and is currently studying civil engineering. She was also selected as a highly-prestigious Beca 18 scholar and is studying on a full scholarship. Congratulations, Sol María!
María. María studied from September 2010 to October 2013 with support from PMB. She first took individual classes with a well-known Peruvian fashion designer and then studied a 1.5 year technical degree in clothing production, as a pattern and sample maker. She finished the degree!! Congratulations, María! María is now working in her field and hopes to pursue a second degree in fashion design.
Fernando. Fernando studied from March 2011 to March 2013 in a pre-university academy with support from PMB. He was accepted at the Universidad Nacional de Ingeniería and is currently studying physics. In December 2015, Fernando completed year 3 of his university studies. Congratulations, Fernando!
Cecilia. Cecilia studied from March 2011 to September 2012 in a pre-university academy with support from PMB. She was accepted at the Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos for accounting. In December 2015, Cecilia completed year 3 of her university studies and was the top student in her class. Congratulations, Cecilia!
Carlos A. Carlos studied from March 2008 to November 2011 in a graphic design institute with support from PMB. During 2012, he completed the thesis for his degree program and graduated as the top student in his class. Carlos is now working at a very prestigious branding and strategic graphic design firm as a junior graphic designer. Congratulations, Carlos!
Carlos B. Carlos studied from April 2010 to August 2011 with support from PMB. He had to stop his studies in order to work to support his mother and two younger siblings. We will keep in touch with Carlos and would hope to support him if he is able to return to his studies.
Rafael. Rafael studied from June 2008 to August 2010 in a pre-university academy with support from PMB. He was accepted at the Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos for mining engineering. In December 2015, Rafael COMPLETED HIS UNIVERSITY STUDIES. Congratulations, Rafael!
Mónica. Mónica studied from January 2007 to August 2009 in a pre-university academy with support from PMB. Mónica studied social work at the Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos. In December 2014, Mónica COMPLETED HER UNIVERSITY STUDIES! Congratulations, Mónica!
Oscar. Oscar studied from June 2007 to August 2009 in a pre-university academy with support from PMB. Oscar studied microbiology and parasitology at the Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos. In December 2014, Oscar COMPLETED HIS UNIVERSITY STUDIES! Congratulations, Oscar!
Ronald. Ronald studied at an accelerated high school from January 2007 to June 2009 with the support of PMB. HE FINISHED HIGH SCHOOL!! Congratulations, Ronald!
2. Branching Upward, mini-projects for personal development
These workshops were as follows:
- Graffiti Workshops. August to October 2009.
- Handicrafts and Taekwondo Workshops. February to March 2009.
- Handicrafts Workshops. July to September 2008.
- PMB participated in the One World Youth Project (OWYP). September 2007 to July 2008. T
- Photography Project. June to November 2007.
- Community Gardens Project. August to November 2007.
- Dance and Personal Expression Workshops. March to May 2007.
- Creative Expression Workshops. January to March 2007.
- Blog Project. January to March 2007.
3. Nourishing the Roots, cultural outings and skill-strengthening workshops
These activities were as follows:
- Skill-strengthening workshops from 2010-2015: Life planning workshop for soon-to-be high school graduates
- Skill-strengthening workshops in 2008: Five-day-a-week summer workshops: English, Creative expression, Clown/theater, and Life planning
- Skill-strengthening workshop in 2007: Weekly English workshops
- Cultural outings in 2010: The play Scenes of Love and Humor at Mocha Graña Theater
- Cultural outings in 2009: Graffiti Competition in Jesus Maria and the play Untold Stories at Maguey Theater
- Cultural outings in 2008: The play Trees Die Standing at Mocha Graña Theater and the play Private Wars at the Peruvian North American Cultural Institute
- Cultural outings in 2007: The play Opening Our Minds at the Vichama Theater, Animals and Plants Galore at the Parque de las Leyendas, Comics, Illustrations and Videoart Exhibit at the Spanish Cultural Center, the Mayumaná Show at the National Museum, and A “Collective Art” Exhibit at the British Cultural Institute